Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A little "On Broadway"...if you please


            I’m not sure what age I was at the time, but lets just say I was in the stage of my life where the thought of choosing a “broadway” tune for my jazz dance was, well….  inconceivable!!  When my cousin Joyce, who also happened to be my dance instructor, suggested “On Broadway” by ten time Grammy Award winning jazz musician, George Benson, rest assured my duet partner, Carrie, and I weren’t enthused.  With so many rockin songs out there, what could she be thinking?  We wanted something mainstream…cool….etc, etc.  If it wasn’t playing on the local rock station every third song, we weren’t interested.  Now keep in mind, we hadn’t even listened to it yet!  Were we in for a surprise!
Once Joyce composed herself from laughing at the looks on our faces, she played it.  I’m not sure what I was expecting exactly.  For whatever reason, in my little teenage mind, Broadway equaled opera.  Not exactly what I pictured myself dancing to for the next 10 months, at least not for my beloved jazz number.  But from the first beats of the intro, I was hooked.  It had a funky fun beat and was different than anything I had danced to before…..in a good way!  I was intrigued at the possibilities of this routine.  Just proves you shouldn’t decide what music you’re gonna listen to just by seeing what genre it’s listed under.
            Take a listen to this fabulous tune.  Just see if your toe ain’t tappin.  Perfect choice….score one for Joyce!  


George Benson


Copyright ©2012 Alicia's View On All Things Music All rights reserved
Copyright ©2012 Music Central All rights reserved

2 comments: